The Creative and Professional Writing Programme of Hong Kong Baptist University is the first UGC-funded undergraduate programme among Hong Kong tertiary institutions dedicated to creative and professional writing in both Chinese and English.
To pursue these goals, the Programme carries certain distinguishing characteristics:
- Bilingual Teaching and Learning: Students will read, write and speak in Chinese as well as English, developing their skills in both languages. Bilingual ability enables students to respond to Hong Kong’s specific linguistic environment.
- Interdisciplinarity: All the Creative and Professional Writing courses are designed to ensure that students are exposed to the writing demands and strategies of diverse disciplines, including art criticism, language, literature, history, philosophy, media studies, business and science.
The Programme emphasizes the following general aims:
- To provide students with a vigorous curriculum to develop creative and professional writing skills in Chinese and English;
- To develop students’ abilities when writing professionally in different genres and contexts to enhance students’ career opportunities;
- To cultivate students to produce original works of fiction, poetry, or nonfiction;
- To enhance students’ cultural literacy which would act as a solid basis for their creative and professional writing;
- To build up their knowledge for self-directed and life-long learning in the world of professional writing and publishing.